Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Marriage Key

There is no doubt that the oldest institution in our society, marriage, is crumbling. My heart breaks over and over again as I hear of yet another divorce. I don't even need to know the family being torn apart, I know the decision of each couple giving up on their marriage will have a ripple effect that we cannot see the end of.

Many books are written to hopefully strengthen marriages, but 'Love and Respect' gives the God-key to a satisfying and fulfilling relationship between husband and wife. Dr. Emerson addresses the basic differences in how men and women `think' and the difference in their deepest need.
The back cover says..."A wife has one driving need- to feel loved. When that need is met, she is happy. A husband has one driving need - to feel respected. When that need is met he is happy."
If you `get that' you get the book.

I totally agree with the principle laid out ... and it is laid out VERY clearly ....but I found the book very repetitive - the same thing said over and over again, especially in the first part of the book. While I found that weakness irritating, the message is so good that I forgave the author and I do recommend the book for the truth that it proclaims!

`Getting' the message of this book WILL strengthen your marriage. I especially would recommend it to young people anticipating marriage - it will give them the key to build a godly marriage on a solid God-given foundation.

6 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

After 30 years of marriage I can say the doctor is right.
Oh that we would set aside our pride and selfishness .. .all the time.
When I don't . . I'm so thankful for a patient and forgiving man.

Anonymous said...

it'll be 5 years for us in November Julie!! We'll be married longer than either one of our parents ever were!!!!!! YAY, that's something to celebrate right?

Betty W said...

You are so right, and especially today, I appreciate the truth of it so much. Married 30 years today! I feel blessed.

Marg said...

So well put, now how can we help those younger couples "Get it?"
I love helping those young ones...

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

That men need respect applies across the board in society. Whenever I see a man being treated disrespectfully, on television shows or by their own kids in public or at work...you know there is a problem afoot.

Anneliese said...

Your review is perfectly put. The message is repetative, but so true!
I also agree with Thoughts on Life . . . men are disrespected , put down and made sport of in many ways and it's not right.