Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Barabbas




Interesting QUOTES... 
Our old history ends with the Cross; our new history begins with the resurrection. 

Watchman Nee

The New Testament writers speak as if Christ's achievement in rising from the dead was the first event of its kind in the whole history of the universe. He is the 'first fruits,' the pioneer of life,' He has forced open a door that has been locked since the death of the first man. He has met, fought, and beaten the King of Death. Everything is different because He has done so.
C.S. Lewis

I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.
Charles Colson 

Devotional Thoughts .. ---  BARABBAS 

Barabbas ...  we all know the details of his part in the crucifiction story, but he is quickly passed over with little further thought given  him.   I have been thinking about him and would like to take a bit of literary license with his story.  I think I have some credibility in doing so because in James 5:7 we are told that Elijah was , "of like nature or passions" as us.  That means that given the same circumstances we respond with our emotions and actions with predictability,  because we are all of the same flesh -  'human'.  

So taking the scant details we are given about Barabbas in Matt. 27:15-26, Mark 15:6-15, Luke 23:18-24, John 18:40 I put myself in his place to try to flesh him out as a fellow human being. 
******

"My name is Barabbas. 
I was well-known , but infamous rather than famous.  I was an angry, violent man who charted my own way of dealing with life.  I hated the Romans, hated them with a passion.  I hated their arrogance and their domination over us Jews.  What right did they have....  NONE as far as I was concerned.  

I lived by my own standard of right and wrong.  If I needed something, I took it, not caring from whom.   So I was known as a 'robber' by my own people.   

I rebelled against authority, in particular, the Roman authority and was vocal about it, thereby gaining some support from men who thought like me.  Joining with me, they agreed to my plan. We cared little about our own well-being, just wanting to inflict some pain on the Romans, and find a way to vent our churning anger. 

We planned  our insurrection plan, and carried it out !  It was at least partly successful, we murdered men guilty of nothing more than being Roman, but that was enough reason for us. 

The part that didn't go so well was that we were caught and arrested - thrown into prison, bound with chains.  I knew my life was over, crucifiction my sentence, I tried not to care!   I  waited for the inevitable along with the fellows chained with me. 

One day, I heard the footsteps of the guard approaching our cell.  The door clanged open and I fully expected my time had come.   The guard bent to unchain me and then his words startled me, no = they shocked me. "You  are free to go."  

What?  There was no mercy for me - I knew I had long ago crossed that line!  So what was the guard saying?   I was free?  How?  Why?   I must be dreaming. 

But, the guard roughly pushed me out of the cell and turned back to relock the cell door.  He didn't even look at me.  Really?  I was free to go?  I didn't believe it until I found myself outside, breathing fresh air!  

I stopped the first person I met and asked what was going on.  Why would I have been released from a Roman prison?   Demanding answers I finally found someone who could answer my questions.   A man named Jesus was on trial, and Pilot , trying to play his cards in Jesus' favor, used  the tradition of setting a prisoner free that day.  He offered the people a choice,  Jesus or me !  Well, even I knew that I should have been the last criminal to be offered freedom.   But me instead of Jesus?  I had heard of him,  people spoke of him as a great prophet, some even suggesting he was the long-expected messiah ...  and now they wanted him dead so badly they were willing to have me freed?  me? a robber, murderer, rebellious rabble-rouser?  How was that possible?  Had the people gone mad?

My feelings were conflicted, I hardly knew what to think ... much less what to do.  I wandered aimlessly...  but then hearing the crowds was curious to know what was going on.   I quickly became aware that  a crucifixion was about to take place -- three men.   A chill shivered up and down my spine with the realization I was to have been one of those men.   I recognized one of the men as Jesus, the one who was taking my place.  

I stood at a distance watching the horrifying events unfold.  I witnessed the suffering inflicted on the men on the crosses.   My eyes were fixed on Jesus - literally my saviour!  I was grateful for my undeserved, unexpected freedom but I could not justify, much less understand,  the reason for it. What was I going to do for the rest of my life? "
*****

To my regret, we are not given any details about what Barabbas did after he was set free.  Did he hear of Jesus' resurrection?  Did he listen to the gospel story and come to faith in Jesus?  

We will have to wait for eternity to find out.   But truly,  Barabbas is representative of each one of us.   We all stand at the cross looking at the One who took our place there.  Our sin laid on Him, when He Himself had no guilt at all.  I am offered freedom, only because "God so loved!!"  

At this time of year, as we again focus on Jesus' sacrifice -- His death -- and His resurrection, we can be so thankful that in Him  we have forgiveness and  life eternal .   

God asked Jesus'  "Who shall I set free?  You or ----------  (
fill your name in the blank) ?
 and Jesus answered... " Set ______________ free, I am willing to take their place!"  

No comments: