Monday, January 28, 2008

Waiting for a Gift


I had already put the thoughts in this post together when I read a post by Jill about sussies and how they can be ‘less’ than a gift in that they are often inappropriate or unneeded by the recipient. Point made!

While I love to give and am always touched by the thoughtfulness of others, I think we have all at some point received gifts that we did not know what to do with and have felt the tension of obligatory giving and receiving.

I was thinking of how our working society is based on ‘need’. If no one had a need the job market would be effectively shut down over night !!

A doctor NEEDS someone to be sick !
A teacher NEEDS someone who lacks knowledge!
A chef NEEDS someone who is hungry !!
A repair man NEEDS someone who has something broken!!
A roofer NEEDS someone whose roof leaks!!
A clerk NEEDS someone to come shopping!

Just as it is ‘need’ that provides the opportunity to serve in the work place in order for us to earn our living …. So also a gift .. to be a true gift... must find a need to fill.

God has given each of us ‘gifts’ -- they are listed in Roms.12:6 and I Cor. 12 – We all have deposited within us the God-given gifts of natural talents and abilities as well as the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever considered the relationship of your particular gift to the NEED around you ?

If you are someone with the gift of encouragement, you NEED someone who is downcast or discouraged.
If you are someone with the gift of mercy , you NEED someone who is feeling self-condemned or burdened with guilt.
If you are someone God has called to be a giver, you NEED someone who is lacking, who has a need for provision of some kind.
If you are a server at heart, you NEED someone who needs help.


You have heard the expression “the haves and the have-nots”. It is usually used to describe two sectors of society.
But I would like to apply it to two other groups of people - the ones holding gifts and the ones who have need of the gifts.

Perhaps that is why they are called ‘gifts’. They were never meant to be hidden or worse - to be consumed on ourselves .. They were meant to be given away. A true gift demands no recompense – it is freely given.

We all have gifts to give .. and God’s gifts are always a blessing – both in the giving and in the receiving!

Do you have a closet full of gifts God has given you to give away? Maybe you felt that no one wanted them . I believe you are wrong.. the persons God intended you to give them to are waiting ..

“And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins… Be hospitable to one another without grumbling…As each one has received a gift , minister it to one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God ………and let him do it with the ability which God supplies that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever, Amen!!!!” (I Peter 4:8,9,10b)

5 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Julie, thank you for the challenge today. I too want to be mindful to share the gifts God has entrusted to me to those who NEED it.
. ..this one has me thinking.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

God's gifts: Never out of fashion, wrong size or color, fits with any diet, decorating style and space.

Instead of Hallmark gifts, perhaps we should look more for Godmark gifts when we care to send the very best.
PS Love the squirrel!

A Lady said...

And you, dear Julie, are a gift to me specifically, as well as all of us who get to read your blog. Except this is no sussy, it is a treasure. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I feel like I do not always get enough of a moment to properly post a comment, so thank you for giving, even when your recipient is silent. You are appreciated. And I love the squirrel. Cute! Have a great day! (and if this gets posted a few times, it's cause the computer is being goofy!)

Demara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Demara said...

Yes gifts are made to give! Thank-you for your teaching and love Julie!!!

And yes I made a sticky note to remind me to mail you with what I thought of the book when I'm done reading it. I'm a slow reader though and am only on Chapter 9 (half way), I've been trying to read it every day since I got it too! Talk to you later I love the purple berry plant picture too! (I LOVE purple grape juice!)