Monday, September 2, 2024

Judgment Day

 



One day we will all stand before the Lord on judgment day to receive from Him the rewards for what we have done. II Cor. 5:10. 
I think I speak for all of us in that we fear we have not done enough or that what we have done is not good enough. 
I want to encourage you this morning.  

I remember an experience I had years and years ago!  
I was in 7th grade probably toward the end of the school year. 
One Sunday afternoon we had the house full of visitors.  Adults and kids, it was loud - our house was small. I was playing with the other kids when suddenly I remembered,  I had homework I had not done. An essay for English Literature - showing how  a certain theme  ran through one of the character's lives.  I panicked,  knowing that when the visitors finally went home it would be bedtime and Mom was very strict about bedtimes..  So, I got paper and pen and sat down at the kitchen table, distracted by the noise around me, but I got the essay written.  Relieved, I was happy that at least I had something to hand in the next day. 
On Tuesday morning we were waiting for class to begin when our teacher walked in, visibly very upset about something. 
Without any greeting he said, "I am going to read you one the essays that were handed in yesterday."
To my utter horror, as he started reading I realized it was my essay he was reading.  I was hot/cold, so embarrassed and desperately wishing my desk would sink into the floor!  
When  finally he finished reading it, he threw it on his desk and exclaimed, "Now, if ONE of you can write like that, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE MATTER WITH THE REST OF YOU !!"  
What? ???   He was PRAISING my essay?   

In remembering that experience I thought about how that will be the same for many of us on judgement day. 
We all  judge ourselves  according to the world's standards or expectations and compare ourselves one to another.  But I believe God judges differently. 
I let my mind drift  over the women in the Bible that are praised for something they did. 
Ruth - has a Bible book named for her - but she did nothing more than be loyal and kind in her relationships. 
Abigail - became the wife of King David -- she did nothing more than cover for a wicked husband.
Esther saved a nation -- but she did nothing other than honor and obey her cousin/uncle. 
The Shunamite woman  - whose heart desire was granted - did nothing other than be hospitable. (to Elijah) 
The widow of Zarephath - used by God to feed Elijah, as well as herself and her son  - did nothing more than be willing to feed a stranger passing by. 
Dorcas/Tabitha - raised from the dead -  did nothing more than sew clothes for widows she knew. 
Hanna -- was given her heart's desire - she did nothing more long to be a mother and was a good one. 
Mary, Martha - were hospitable - loved Jesus - and their brother was raised from the dead. 
Peter's mother - was a good cook - hospitable -- and was raised from the dead. 
The woman at the well -  all she did was share her experience - and a whole town was taught by Jesus. 
Lydia - did nothing more than gather with women to pray at the river.- she worshipped God and opened her heart to hear Paul's message, yet her name is recorded in our scriptures.

The above women all have a place of honor in the pages of our Bible but if you note , none of them did anything extraordinary.  They all just did what was in their heart and mind to do.  It wasn't something they thought about and purposefully planned out  because they thought it would please God!  
We are so performance oriented .... and believe that for something to be worthy of  praise from God it must be something difficult - something we would rather not do - something painful. 
As a parent,  is that what you wish for your children?  Do they please you only when they do something they don't want to do?  are not even suited to do?   Then why do we think that God- the perfect FAther - would expect us to do what is difficult for us to do?   Has He not created each of us, unique in our person, and placed exactly where we are suited to serve Him! 

When we one day stand before God on judgement day, trembling like I did on that school day before my teacher, we will be surprised at what God points out in our life that was praiseworthy. 
I don't think Billy Graham will be praised for his huge revival meetings, or altar calls.   It will be something much more personal, something that he didn't even realize was praiseworthy.  Something he did out of his heart because it didn't occur to him to do otherwise! 

So I encourage you today to go through your day doing what you desire to do because it gives you pleasure or fulfillment - and know that God expects or wants nothing more - or less !   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I needed this today. I was thinking today how insignificant my life has been but God made us and sees us and sees everything so what seems insignificant to us and others may have a bigger impact on people than we know.

Julie said...

Thank you... I love that God wanted you to know that He sees you as 'significant' ... Your comment warmed my heart !

ellen b. said...

Sooo thankful we are covered in Christ's Righteousness. Loved the story about your essay!

Julie said...

Thank you, Ellen !

Elaine said...

Like Anonymous, I needed this, too. I often feel insignificant and yet when our heart is directed toward God he uses us in ways we are not aware of--which is a good thing. Otherwise pride would enter into the picture. :) My grandfather was a quiet unassuming man with a love for God. On the surface it may have appeared that he didn't accomplish much but at his funeral the pastor said that David could be found faithful--to his church, his family, etc.
Thank you for sharing your story and all the examples of women in the Bible who were faithful in their devotion to the Lord.

Julie said...

Thank you, Elaine... I too had a grandfather like yours... maybe nothing that was noteworthy in the eyes of the world... but church, family were important to him and he will always be a 'hero' in my heart. And I know that God sees worth and value in who you are and how you live out your love for Him!