Sunday, January 10, 2016

You Are What You Eat!


We have all joked about the saying, "You are what you eat!"
Are you a little nutty? do people smile and say you are sweet? or do you make people frown because you are a little sour around the edges?

We may joke about being what we eat, yet the truth is that what we eat does directly affect our physical health.  Making wise food choices to keep healthy bodies is something we all recognize as a worthy goal.  Adhering to healthy eating to preserve good health is followed diligently by most people.

I was thinking ...  while most everyone is aware and focused on healthy eating habits recognizing that what we eat will determine our well-being, we are not so diligently in what we feed our minds.

If we are what we put in our mouths, are we not also what we put into our minds?

Before my husband and I were married I had a 'pre-nup' of sorts.  I told him I really didn't care how how poor we were or what we had to do without, as long as we were never so poor that I could not buy books.  I can honestly say, my husband kept his part of the bargain!

But I have seen a radical change in the last 50 years... increasingly so in the last two decades. Books are no longer as sought after and treasured as they were.  People are too busy or too distracted to read much.   I talked to someone recently who had not read a book in the last several years.  Bookstores are closing.  Yes, there are the on-line e-books, and Amazon giving stiff competition to book stores, but there still seems to be a move away from reading books.

And that is where my post thoughts began ...  if people are no longer reading ... what is filling their minds?

No comments: