Monday, March 21, 2016

In a Fog





We have all heard and used the expression "He has his head in the clouds".|
The meaning of this expression according to a dictionary is ... 

  • to be out of touch with the everyday world and to be unrealistic because of it. 
  • to be living in a fantasy (world) 
  • to have impractical ideas or dreams. Sometimes the person doesn't know the facts or reality of the situation.
I took the above photo this morning from my deck overlooking the valley below.  As I stood looking down on the sea of clouds, I thought of what it must be like for the thousands of people living under it, covered in 'fog' - how far could they see? a few feet? 

I thought about how aptly my view pictured the expression referred to above. 
While their view was limited and shrouded, mine was clear and unobstructed. 
While they walked about in a fog blocking the light, I enjoyed the sun shining from a blue sky. 

My mind moved from the physical to the spiritual application, recognizing how closely they paralleled one another.  
If we have our head in the fog of this world, we will be out of touch with reality as God defines it.  Worldly wisdom 'so called', offers only a very limited and unrealistic view, having no idea or understanding, of the Son Light that is shining above the 'fog' they walk in. 

I did a little word search and found some verses that take on clarity when laid aside my above 'fog' photo. 
"Have you heard the counsel of God? Do you limit wisdom to yourself?" 
~Job 15:8 
Would those words not be fitting to someone who has his head 'in the clouds' , judging his day by how far he can or cannot see, or by what he can or cannot see, rather than by the Truth of God  that shines above the 'fog' - not thinking or reasoning clearly because he is choosing his own wisdom over God's? 

"And the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it." 
~John 1:5 
I have found myself in dense fog and been frustrated by how difficult it was to see, and I totally focused on my 'fog reality',  never once thinking about how the sun was shining on those who were 'above the fog'.  It is so easy to make our own experience the reality we choose to live by, without 'comprehending' that there is a reality infinitely higher and wiser than what we see around us. 

"When His lamp shone upon my head, and when by His light I walked through darkness." ~Job 29:3 
When we walk in the Light of God's truth, our view is unlimited, our mind clear. We can 'see' even when we walk in darkness, because the Son shines upon us, in us, and through us. The 'fog' of this world cannot 'hide' His wisdom and truth when we walk "in His Light". 

No comments: