Sunday, August 4, 2024

A Mango Seed


Faith is not an emotion, nor is it a head-belief. Faith is an action word.
Here is a photo of my mango tree.
image.png

 Do I see mangoes hanging from the tender leaves? No!! Does it look possible? NO!!
I love mangos and being fascinated with the strange center "bone" that hides the seed, I decided to try to grow it. My faith was not in my ability to grow things, I do not have a green thumb!! My Faith was in the seed. I have faith that in each seed is a promised mango tree!!
And so my action was motivated by what I believed.  I wrapped the seed in damp paper towel in a zip lock bag until it began to sprout and then I planted it in a pot.

It doesn't look like a mango, it doesn't smell like a mango and I know it wouldn't taste like a mango, but I know if I water it it will grow into a mango tree and bear fruit.  It is actually easier to believe it WILL grow to produce mangos than to believe it won't. (aside from my lack of gardening skill).
 So again, my faith is not in my green thumb, it is in the seed!! I have no doubt at all that there is a mango tree in that seed - not an apple tree, not a grape vine, not a peach tree. I don't have to be convinced by some agricultural scientist. I took the seed out of a mango therefore I know it will grow into a mango tree. No one can tell me otherwise.

We know the promises of God, but we listen to contrary voices  including our own, and we begin to doubt   We doubt when our faith shifts from the 'Seed'  to ourself, trusting in our own ability to make something happen!  We will struggle and fail if we try to make faith effective through our own efforts or strength. We simply need to focus our faith in the 'Seed' , Jesus, who cannot fail to do all that He promised. If it comes from God, it is true! It is a given as surely as the mango seed promises a tree. Every time! 

There is another thing the mango plant has taught me. It takes 5 - 10 years before the mango plant will bear fruit. That is a long time...but the 'time' doesn't hinder or diminish my faith. I don't give up and think it won't happen. 
I know that is simply how long it takes!
So also our faith in God...we pray , we ask, and nothing happens! Do we give up? Think God hasn't heard?  Why do we not give up on the mango plant, but we give up on God?
Is He not the creator of the mango seed , with the lesson that if God doesn't immediately answer our prayers it is simply because 'time' is carefully calculated to be dependent on God's perfect answer - always worth waiting for!

"For the vision [answer] is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it will speak and it will not lie. Though it tarries wait for it because it will surely come,  it will not tarry"
Habakkuk 2:3

Have faith in God, my friends!! He cannot fail!

1 comment:

ellen b. said...

Faith is a wonderful gift from God when we believe.