Thursday, May 10, 2007

What's Not to Love about Spring!

It was a lovely spring day today.
Too beautiful to stay indoors so I walked outside and listened to the ‘sermon’ echoing all around me.


I looked at all the Dandelions. They are considered a nuisance weed where I live, but I think they are beautiful and they adorn all my childhood summer memories.
Consider the Dandelion – listen to its sermon.
It is an outrageously joyous giver. Every part of the plant.. the flower, the stem, the leaves, the root are all good to eat!
Its beautiful flower head is golden, just like the Son that gives it life.
And you cannot keep a Dandelion from fulfilling its God-given purpose -just to bloom, where ever and when ever it can! Every where!
Run over it with a lawn mower, pull it out by the roots…it will be back tomorrow as happy as ever it was. The Dandelion refuses to worry, it is unconcerned with man's opinion, it does not fear death - for in death it reaches farther than it ever did in life, its white fluffy seeds flung far and wide to start the joyous cycle all over again.

Oh, if all Christians were like the Dandelion! What a world this would be!!




I looked at the flowers that are all out in bloom. I still have tulips, which I love. They are so beautiful - like cups lifted up to be filled with God’s glory.
Are we beautiful to God like tulips? Do we lift up our heads and hearts to be filled anew each morning with His wisdom and love, and grace?
I looked with awe at the detailing and intricate design and color of each flower. If God took such care in fashioning each one of them, how infinitely much more He must care for us!
“Consider the lilies of the field……will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? (Matt. 6:30)


I saw the pine cones in bloom - no the picture is not from Christmas- but it is a picture of the celebration of new life.
In each of those pine cones, God has carefully folded like origami a fully grown tree! Who but God could conceive of such a thing?

And I thought - God by His Spirit has hidden something wonderful in each of His children – “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us!” (II Cor. 4:7)
Just as the pine cones do not look like the beautiful tree they have the potential to be, so we also do not (in our flesh) resemble what we shall one day be - but if we allow Christ to shine through us then truly we will be “transformed into the same image from glory to glory !” (II Cor. 3:18)

I watched the American Goldfinch at the feeder. I tried to get close, but he was shy and sharp-eyed. Every time I tried to sneak up…. he saw me and flew off.
I wanted a picture so badly, I asked God to please bring him back so I could snap him.
A few minutes later, there he was and sat facing me so I could see his eyes and his little ‘hat’. What a beautiful little creature he is!! How beautifully clothed ! Each feather in place and so delightful coloured in golden yellow and black.
How many generations of Goldfinches have there been ? and yet the colors have not faded!
Thank you, Lord for making such a lovely bird. And yet He says,
“Look at the birds of the air….. Are you not of more value than they?” (Matt.6:26)

Do we , as the Goldfinch, glorify God in our ‘every day’ garb? Does our countenance, our demeanor, our soul shine forth to give thanks and honor to Him? Do we make the statement…”I am a creation of God’s glory and grace?”
“Do not let your beauty be that outward adorning……but let it be the hidden person of the heart with the incorruptible ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit which is very precious in the sight of God!” (I Peter 3:3,4)

Spring time to me is always a sermon about renewal - the proof that God is a God of mercy and forgiveness – daily offering us a new beginning.
God’s promise that He is the Lord of resurrected Life is celebrated and joyfully proclaimed everywhere.
One day we will know perfection…. Until then, spring portrays it better than anything else .

“Let everything that has breath, praise the Lord!” (Psalm 150:6)

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

beautiful pictures Julie.
How can we not praise God when surrounded by such beauty?

I love Spring.

Cherie said...

Don't you just love spring flowers. There is nothing like going for a walk on a nice spring day and enjoying all of the beauty around us. Thank you for the anniversary wishes - see you tomorrow.

A Lady said...

How perfectly beautiful!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Walking in the garden..there is always an amazing sermon being preached! Thanks for taking me along on your walk.